[MPlayer-users] Alsa 0.9, latest mplayer causes playing mp3´s using 100% cpu usage

Thomas Zangl - Mobil mobil at tzi.dhs.org
Thu Nov 27 20:55:33 CET 2003

Hi,

I´m using Alsa 0.9.x (latest version) and also the latest mplayer version
(available as source from mplayerhq.hu)
My box is an Athlon XP 1600+, my Soundcard is an SbLive! Value Edition.
I use Alsa´s emu10k1 driver module.

The problem is, if I use mplayer -ao alsa9:surround40 -channels 4 it uses
100% cpu if I play a single mp3. If I remove the ":surround40 -channels 4"
its cpu usage is less then 1%.
If I play a movie (divx) with mp3 as audio track it uses 20-30% wether I
use the surround40 -channels 4 options or not.

I compiled mplayer fresh from sources, I also tried older versions, they
all show the same behavior.
This problem persists since I use mplayer (~February 2003).

Hope anyone can help me or the developer can find and fix this problem :-)

TIA!