[MPlayer-users] Digital camcoder

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Sun Nov 30 14:48:33 CET 2003

> Yes, but you cannot transmitt a propper framerate plus a propper resolution.
> For example "Pro Sieben" is transmitting one of it's shows "Zacherl -
> einfach kochen" in progressive scan. Then you only get 288 lines per frame.
> You need 50fps for professional video, otherwise you get that typical
> "cinema effect".

Well here in Australia one of our commercial TV stations is transmitting a
"high definition" video stream, which is basically progressive-scan standard
definition (720x576 at 50fps.)  Or at least I assume it's 50fps because that's
what mplayer prints out when I watch it ;-)

I'm not sure whether they used 50fps equipment to film it though, because if
you watch it frame by frame it appears that every frame is sent twice - but
they do appear to be true progressive frames, just "scaled up" to 50fps.

> Yes, if you can get progressive equipment that does 50 fps at a decent
> resolution, but you simply cannot get that yet.

There are DV cameras out there that do progressive scan, but surely they're
not all running at 25fps?  Or maybe they have to to fit in with the DV
standard?

Cheers,
Adam.