[MPlayer-users] vo: couldn't open the X11 display ()!

Kalin Mintchev kalin at el.net
Wed Oct 1 10:06:21 CEST 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Adam Nielsen wrote:

> > at some point i got the messages about the laptop being to slow.
>
> That just means the video couldn't be decoded fast enough.  It can be caused
> by a slow CPU, a slow video driver or even adjusting the A/V sync too

is there a definition what is a slow CPU for mplayer?! i was reading
somewhere on line that people run mplayer on a lot "slower" CPUs then mine
PIII 750...

> quickly.
>
> > i have xv enabled by default in the config.
>
> You didn't say what happened when you tried the x11 driver instead of the xv

well, i'd like to use the xv. when i use x11 i can see 'some' video. it
freezes all the time and at the and it crashes with this message:

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: exit_player
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.

then it goes on to suggest to recompile the player etc. etc....
i have to explicitly kill it - otherwise it hangs and i don't get cl..

comparing the xvinfo output with the example in the docs under video
everything seems to be ok. the only difference i see is that i have one
"supported visuals" and it's 33 (0x21) not 34 or 35 (0x22, 0x23) as on
the example - i'm not aware what these are -  and the number of image
formats is 6 (not 7) - if that matters. here is my xvinfo output...

 Adaptor #0: "Savage Streams Engine"
    number of ports: 1
    port base: 50
    operations supported: PutImage
    supported visuals:
      depth 24, visualID 0x21
    number of attributes: 5

    maximum XvImage size: 1024 x 1024
    Number of image formats: 6
      id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
        guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
        bits per pixel: 16
        number of planes: 1
        type: YUV (packed)
      id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
        guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
        bits per pixel: 12
        number of planes: 3
        type: YUV (planar)

> driver.
>
> > do i need a special savage driver for this card on my laptop to be able to
> > actually use mplayer for video. if that's the case where can i get it?!
>
> You probably wouldn't be able to use the xv extension at all if you didn't
> have the special driver (e.g. xvinfo would say "no adaptors present.")

which one is the "special" (magical?!) driver...

> Cheers,
> Adam.

thanks Adam....