[MPlayer-users] Re: vo: couldn't open the X11 display ()!

Kalin Mintchev kalin at el.net
Thu Oct 2 09:23:30 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Tobias Diedrich wrote:

Kalin Mintchev wrote:

> > is there a definition what is a slow CPU for mplayer?! i was reading
> > somewhere on line that people run mplayer on a lot "slower" CPUs then
> > mine
> > PIII 750...

> Depends on what you want to play, your hardware, your drivers, the
> output device, whether or not you are playing over the network etc.

i was just trying to play rm and qt so far, my hardware (as i mentioned)
is s3 Savage card on t20 ibm laptop, the driver (apparently) is x11
although i'd like to use the xv one, output device should be my screen and
for now i'm just trying to play movies locally...

> A PIII 750 should be fast enough to play 640x480 divx at 30fps
> if you use xv and you are not playing over the network.

that's what i was saying...

> > well, i'd like to use the xv. when i use x11 i can see 'some' video.
> > it
> > freezes all the time and at the and it crashes with this message:

> What does 'freezes all the time' mean?
it freezes at certain frames for a few seconds where there are more colors
to decode - like when people move... and when it doesn't it's all
"pixelated"... the same video plays fine on the OSX mplayer on a g4 400
mac - without any problems - sound or video...

> What are the (complete!) mplayer messages?

here it is:

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: exit_player
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. For details, see DOCS/bugreports.html#crash.b.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
gcc
  version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
DOCS/bugreports.html
  and follow the instructions there. We can't and won't help unless you
provide
  this information when reporting a possible bug.

> Does mplayer -nosound -vo x11 work?

it looks the same but i don't get the crash message at the end...

> If it does not freeze with -nosound, does -autosync 10 help?

not really it's all the same.... i do get the crash message though. it
seems what crashes is the audio driver...

> What kind of file are you trying to play?
real media...

> > MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: exit_player
> > - MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.

> Is it reproducable? What are the mplayer messages?

i don't know if some body else that has the same machine has tried the
exact same mplayer and drivers.... the messages are above...

> > which one is the "special" (magical?!) driver...

> The x11 driver you are already using, that is the right driver for your
> GFX card.

what about the xv then?

also why i don't have the mtrr registers in my proc?!

> Tobias

thanks..