[MPlayer-users] Distortion between different versions of MPlayer/Mencoder

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Oct 4 20:46:59 CEST 2003

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 05:55:03AM -0700, rcooley wrote:

> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >i guess thats only happenig with files which have width or height %16 =!
> >0,
> Yes, that seems to fit.

Never encode with width/height %16 != 0!! It will hurt quality a lot
even without buggy encoders!

> Obviously, I want videos I have archived to be playable without
> artifacts and distortion.  If this is a bug in mplayer 0.9x's version of
> libavcodec, I'm going to have to go through a great deal of trouble,
> converting everything to something else, like Xvid.

This will severely decrease quality. I'm sure one of the lavc bug
workaround flags will fix the problem, and Michael will probably find
a way to make it auto-detect the bug so you don't have to manually set
the flag...

Rich