[MPlayer-users] Remove avi header info?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Oct 5 06:37:59 CEST 2003

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 05:34:20AM +0200, Linus Wenell wrote:
> Hi all! I'm completely new to this list so maybe this has been discussed before, but..
>
> Is there any way to remove or just to not set any avi header info at
> all? It seems mencoder automatically sets info on what software made
> the movie, but the player I'm trying to encode movies for (GPCinema,
> a player for a handheld game console) seems to crash if there's any
> info in the header.

I don't think such a feature exists, but I'd like to have it too! IMO
storing data about the program that created the file in the header is
a leak of potentially private information. Consider the case where you
release a video (illegal dvdrip or your own content that happens to be
illegal in your country which doesn't respect free expression) and it
happens to have your mplayer version number in it (the CVS checkout
timestamp for CVS builds) and then the police storm MPHQ and
confiscate the cvs checkout logs to identify you by ip address.... :((
Not cool!

Rich