[MPlayer-users] encoding tv streams in linux

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Sun Oct 5 19:32:19 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 10:20, Larry wrote:

> File not found: 'frameno.avi'   and
> MPlayer was compiled without libmp3lame support!
>
> and quits.

What commandline are you using to capture it?

> A:
> TV audio encoding for Linux is currently unimplemented, we're working on it.
> At the moment it works only on BSD.
>
> Is this up-to-date? Am I wasting my time trying to encode tv streams in
> linux?
>
> If not, is there a howto for this somewhere? I would really like to record
> some things from the tv.

Most TV tuners these days (IME, anyway) just take the audio and spit out
it to your current soundcard.  I use a little loopback type cable that
plugs in to audio out on the TV card and then audio-in on the
motherboard (using nForce integrated audio).

As such, it's able to recrd that without any problems.  Now, if I were
trying to use the TV card as an audio source itself, we might run in to
problems, but I don't understand how that stuff works at all.

I'm about to modify my TV recording/encoding scripts to work with the
new release, as I haven't been using the funky tv:// garbage you didn't
need to use with the 0.9's... once I'm done with that, I'll share my
command lines, which I came up with pretty much on my own and haven't
been sharing very much, so they could probably use quite a few
optimizations and people saying "Hey, you're wasting an hour of CPU time
right there!  WTF for?" and stuff like that I could use.  :-)

> Oh and should I rebuild with   libmp3lame support?   (:

Most definitely.

Rob