[MPlayer-users] encoding tv streams in linux

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Sun Oct 5 23:57:45 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 10:57, Larry wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 10:32:19 -0700
> AthlonRob <AthlonRob at axpr.net> wrote:
>
> Would that be the aols AthlonRob?   (:
>
> Widgeteye  (:

Indeed, one in the same. :-)

> > What commandline are you using to capture it?
>
> It's one I found on the net;
>

> mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:device=/dev/v4l/video1:channel=27: \
> width=768:height=576:fps=25 -vop lavcdeint,denoise3d=4:3:6 -oac mp3lame \
> -lameopts abr=:preset=128 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1500 \
> -info name=test:artist=channel-27:genre=trash:subject=snippet: \
> copyright=aRTee:srcform=teevee:comment='just testing' -frames 500 \
> -o videocap.avi
>
> Looking at this I can see now why I need libmp3lame support.   DOH!

Ah, cool - I hadn't seen/played with the -info stuff before.  Cool
stuff.  I think I will incorporate that into my (ever evolving) command.

> I would really appreciate it. I'm really green with this stuff,
> I'm even having trouble figuring out what the man pages are
> saying to me.  (^:

The man pages are a bit much unless you get a good understanding of how
mplayer works - kinda like man bash[1].  I think the best way to learn
mencoder is by examples you can then modify to do what you want.

mencoder tv:// -tv driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:input=1:norm=NTSC:audiorate=32000:adevice=/dev/audio0:outfmt=yv12:forceaudio:forcechan=1:buffersize=64 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg:vhq -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=128:cbr:mode=3 -endpos 00:00:00 -o file.avi

Now, you'll probably notice there's no deinterlacing or divx-ifyin in
that.  No cropping, either.  I then take the resulting avi file and do
magic on it with two-pass encoding to divx.  I'm going to have to take a
look at this TV-icon-hiding filter that just was released with the
latest beta and see how that does.

> > > Oh and should I rebuild with   libmp3lame support?   (:
> >
> > Most definitely.
>

> I'm going to upgrade now so I'll add everything I can.

I'd just let it autodetect and see what gets enabled and what doesn't...
you should end up with mp3lame support thataway.

Rob

[1] aols reference there, I think.  <g>