[MPlayer-users] ac3 to ogg

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Mon Oct 6 17:03:31 CEST 2003

> one should remember to question how great idea it is to do this conversion..
> Ofc if it's done with significantly lower bitrate, I guess it's ok, but if
> not, what's wrong with 448 or 224 or 384 kb/s AC3?

That is a good point - although it's nice to have a multichannel Ogg file,
they're almost always larger than the original AC3 file for various reasons.
This will probably change in the future, but for the time being you'd only
really do it just to see if it can be done, there aren't really any benefits
of the conversion at the moment - you certainly wouldn't convert an AC3 file
to an Ogg to make it smaller.

You'd probably be better off transcoding the AC3 file to a lower bitrate if
you need to make it smaller (if that's possible - I've never tried it
before!)

Cheers,
Adam.