[MPlayer-users] Re: MPlayer-users Digest, Vol 10, Issue 29

Lehmeier Michael m_lehmeier at gmx.de
Tue Oct 7 22:21:53 CEST 2003

From: Andreu Escudero <lemon at canuda.net>
> On dt, 2003-10-07 at 18:58, Cornelius Klbel wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > as far as i know, this is not possible at all.
> > Subtitles are rendered into the mpeg stream with the subtitler-Filter.
> > If I am realy wrong, Id like also to know how to do this!
> >

> You are really wrong ;-)
> Subtitles are rendered into the mpeg stream for VCD. In SVCD, they are
> on another stream, just like DVD (SVCD specification allows for
> different selectionable subtitles).
> Unfortunately, I don't know how to do them, as I have never done. But I
> thing the vcdimager documentation says something about the theme.

Indeed.
I created a couple of SVCDs once with my own subtitles in it.
I used a gimp-script to create BMPs that a tool from vcdimager
multiplexes into the stream.

It is still available at
http://www.vcdimager.org/pub/vcdimager/contribs/
svcd-subtitles.tar.gz
Although it is only a hack and has not been maintained for years, I
can confirm that it works.
At least most of the times.
Occasionally a subtitle will not appear and sometimes they are
scrambled.
But 99% of the time they are all right and displayed by my
standalone dvd-player.

You will be out of luck with mplayer, however.
The documentation on which the tool is based is included, but
nobody has implemented it yet.
A pity, but understandable.
There are not many SVCDs around with subtitles.