[MPlayer-users] Failed to create AF_INET6 socket

armin.gerritsen at philips.com armin.gerritsen at philips.com
Thu Oct 9 12:55:50 CEST 2003

>> I keep getting this message when trying to
>> stream audio from a website.
>>
>> I am using a binary installation of 1.0pre2.  It looks to me like it
>> is attempted to use ip6 style sockets while my machine is setup to
>> handle only ip4.
>>
>> Searching the docs/lists, I found that I should be able to fix this
>> by recompiling mplayer without ip6 support but I want to avoid
>> building it myself.
>>
>> Does anybody have any ideas?

> IIRC, there is an option -prefer-ipv4

Good tip.

Note also, that the message is misleading. It says

"Failed to create AF_INET6 socket:"

The ":" is misleading, because whatever is printed next has usually nothing
to do with that message. I also had connection-problems with the LIVE.com
library and was also puzzled by this message. A look into the code revealed
this however.

Normally, it tries IPv6 and gives this error if IPv6 is not enabled. Then it
will fall back to IPv4 and connect. Unless connection fails because of
another reason ...

This was the case in my case, but because I asumed it was related to the
IPv6 printout I wasted some time by searching for the problem at the wrong
place.

Regards,

Armin