[MPlayer-users] Strange X bug

Joe Hansche madcoder at gamesnet.net
Fri Oct 10 08:02:45 CEST 2003

Whenever playing a video in X, once the video file is loaded, and the
mplayer window appears, all other X windows lost their titlebar, and
nothing seems to respond.  If a window can gain focus, it cannot accept
keystrokes, or other similar effects.  Sometimes I can launch a new
xterm after this happens, but I can't type into the terminal.  The only
way I can fix it is by "zapping" windows (ctrl+alt+bksp), killall
mplayer, and re-startx.  If I play the movie from the console, using -vo
directfb or -vo fbdev, it plays perfectly.  It wasn't doing this before,
using 0.92, and when I upgraded to 1.0-pre2, it did not do this.  It was
not until I upgraded Gnome to 2.4 and xfree 4.3.0 that this started.
After the first few times I experienced it, I downgraded mplayer back to
0.92, and it still does it.  I'm using version 1.0.4496-r3 of the nvidia
kernel module (nvidia's binary driver, latest version available in
portage).  Any suggestions?

If you'd like to see a screenshot of what it does to my screen, check
out: http://madcoder.servebeer.com/myimages/mplayer.png  You can see how
the xterm and xchat windows both seem to have lost their borders and
titlebars, and I couldn't type into the xterm, or ^C the process
(mplayer).  The only way to fix it is to log out of X.

System details:

Gentoo linux

Linux madcoder 2.4.20-gentoo-r7 #1 Wed Sep 24 01:13:30 CDT 2003 i686
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

$ ls -l /lib/libc[.-]*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1466302 Aug  2 22:48
/lib/libc-2.3.2.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Aug  2 22:48 /lib/libc.so.6
-> libc-2.3.2.so

gcc version 3.3.1 20030916 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.1-r4, propolice)

GNU ld version 2.14.90.0.6 20030820

GNU assembler 2.14.90.0.6 20030820
This assembler was configured for a target of `i686-pc-linux-gnu'.

MetaCity (2.6.1) window manager, Gnome (2.4.0) session manager

  depth of root window:    16 planes

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 2519.295
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 5020.05

Video Card: nVidia:
Model:           GeForce4 Ti 4400
IRQ:             3
Video BIOS:      04.25.00.22.50
Card Type:       AGP
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25 [GeForce4 Ti
4400] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Driver: nVidia (binary) 1.0.4496

Sound Card: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz with ALSA 0.9.7 (cs46xx)
02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24
[CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

Pertinent ~/.mplayer/gui.conf:
vo_driver = "sdl"
vo_doublebuffering = "yes"
vo_direct_render = "yes"