[MPlayer-users] No more "Falling back on trying to parse playlist" w/ mplayer-1.0pre2

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Oct 12 17:22:25 CEST 2003

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 04:53:46PM +0200, Bas Nedermeijer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> mplayer doesnt try anymore to process a file as a playlist. Normally i use
> .m3u files for this, but they arent working anymore. Is this "by design"? I
> did see the code for processing playlists still in the source. Hope it will
> be fixed, or is there some other way to play playlists?
> Anyway, tnx for this great player   :)

For the time being, use -playlist. I disabled auto-fallback to
playlist because it was buggy (lots of non-playlist files that mplayer
didn't recognize were tried as playlist, making mplayer hang forever
rather than going on to the next file), and because I don't trust the
playlist parser to be secure (so I don't think it should be run on
arbitrary files unless the user knows it's a playlist and has verified
it).

Some developers have suggested adding it back optionally (e.g. an
enable-playlist-fallback option you could put in your config file or
on the command line) or fixing the playlist parser. Either solution is
acceptable to me.

Rich