[MPlayer-users] frame-accurate playback/encoding

Karl Ewald karl.ewald at ixos.de
Sun Oct 12 23:19:32 CEST 2003

Hi Rich,

stopping at any frame shouldn't be a problem at all as far as I understand
things.
Also I do not see any fundamental obstacle to starting to display/encode
frames at non-keyframe boundaries, by seeking to the preceding keyframe and
decoding silently the intervening frames until the starting point is
reached. This probably isn't worth it for viewing since waiting for the
intended starting point without a picture or with some unrequested picture
doesn't usually make a big difference, however when encoding it does.

Even if only certain formats support it, if the feature is there it is up to
users to use suitable formats if they require it.
I would find it quite nice already if input formats that do not allow
frame-exact seeking would produce a message of the sort "frame 100 is
non-key, starting at frame 80 instead"

Karl

[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]