[MPlayer-users] Re: ATI Radeon 9000 and tv-out

Fabio Stumbo f.stumbo at unife.it
Mon Oct 13 16:30:49 CEST 2003

> >>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have an ati radeon 9000 card and I downloaded the latest ati drivers
> >> (3.2.5, if I remember well).
> >>
> >> With great pleasure I discovered that ati provided tv-out even for linux.
> >> So I have chosen "clone mode" and now I have my desktop both on the
> >> monitor and, in carbon copy, on the tv.
> >> When I launch mplayer I can see its frontend correctly, on both screens.
> >> The problem is: when I play a dvd, I can see it correctly on the monitor,
> >> meanwhile on the tv the mplayer window is empty, filled with an annoying
> >> blue background... :-((
> >>
> >> Any suggestion?
>

> >I'd use -vo gl or -vo gl2, whichever turns out to be faster.
>
> I am having a similar problem, and when I use -vo gl the image is
> distorted and there's lines an all sorts of junk on the movie.  If I use
> Gl2, well I just get really crappy performance (10-12 fps, by the looks
> of it), but crystal clear picture quality.  I'm running a Radeon 9600.
> ATI needs to get thier **** together and write some better drivers for
> Linux.

The end of the story. At least, of my tentatives... ;-)

with gl(2) I get really really poor playback, but it works also on the tv.
With x11, I get the tv out and performance is quite acceptable.
Trying to invert primary/secondary monitor, as to have the tv as primary
trying to get accelleration on it doesn't help: xv still perform a nice
blue screen...

It seems that ati drivers are not able to perform acceleration on tv-out
in any way under linux. What a pity. I will try to write them.

Under windows, if I switch on the fly from monitor to tv and viceversa,
disallowing the other device, then reproduction is ok: that is, in some
way windows driver is able to perform tv acceleration, under some
circumstances.

Thanks to everybody

Fabio