[MPlayer-users] mencoder best web video codec

Graham Bleach mplayer at darkskills.org.uk
Mon Oct 13 20:33:31 CEST 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 02:04:23PM -0400, marco at metm.org wrote:
> I would like to present my movies online in a format which allows the
> smallest download, best quality, is free of strange patents, and visible
> on most computers.  This is alot to ask I know, but with mencoder and
> with some amazing free-codecs I am most of the way there.

You're in the same situation to me. Eventually I used MPEG1, as that produced
the smallest file that would play on the Windows machine I borrowed to
test this. Even then I have had complaints that the files won't play.

> I used mencoder with the -lavc to make some really nice websized
> encodings of my dv footage.  I encoded both mpeg4 and h263p in 2 pass
> encoding with an mp3 audio track on another pass (I would use ogg but I
> think this is even less portable :().
>
> Unfortunately I cannot read these movies on a mac (they actually crashed
> the machine), and I tried to view them on the windows boxes at school and
> at some friends but it never seems to work.  On linux they are perfect.
> I wonder what have people used to make accessible web videos?  mpeg1?
> what about audio?

The trouble is that Microsoft decided only to implement part of MPEG4.
You can try MS-MPEG4, but I've not found a linux tool that will produce
MS-MPEG4 that Windows Media Player will actually play. To play standard
MPEG4 Windows users need to install a new player or codec.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he
gave it to.
        -- Dorothy Parker