[MPlayer-users] Cutting avis with ss and endpos

Lehmeier Michael m_lehmeier at gmx.de
Mon Oct 13 23:24:26 CEST 2003

> From: Manuel Eduardo Correia <mcc at ncc.up.pt>
> On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 11:41, Lehmeier Michael wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm new to record AVIs and further encode them to mpeg.
> > I had a tool to cut mpegs, but so far I have not found a tool to cut
> > AVIs (mpeg4) on linux.
> >

> Take a look at avidemux:
> http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

Now that you mention it, and searching the old messages I can't
understand how I could miss this before. Well, until a few days ago I
only handled mpeg-files.
Thanks.

Anyway, avidemux is a great and comfortable tool, exactly what I needed.
Only, the 10 second tolerance for cutting persists.

I have found two possible solutions: either I encode in mjpeg which
results in files twice as big with lower quality, or I raise the number
of keyframes.
After looking through the encoding-tips.txt I tried the option:
keyint=50
This works, now I have only a two second tolerance, which is probably
enough.
But there is also "Key frames are significantly larger than P or B
frames, so the less key frames you have, better the overall movie will
be."
Huh?
Shouldn't it be the other way, the more P-frames I have, the better the
output? After all, more memory is used which should result in better
quality.

Besides that, I would still like to know why the time within a VCD
differs so much from the one mentioned in -ss.
It's not essential, but I am interested.

--
Lehmeier Michael <m_lehmeier at gmx.de>