[MPlayer-users] DivX/XviD qpel decoding

Jakub Misak jmisak at centrum.cz
Tue Oct 14 05:05:49 CEST 2003

Hi,

I noticed that MPlayer with libavcodec can't properly decode video encoded
with DivX 5.1 (possibly XviD, too) and Qpel. There are some slightly
distorted "waves" in some parts of the picture, which disappear with the next
keyframe. It's quite subtle and noticeable only in some particular places,
but the artifacts are not there with the DivX 5.0.5 decoder.

I'm using MPlayer 1.0-pre2 (couldn't try CVS as it doesn't compile on my
machine), I tried all -lavdopts bug, er, ec, idct (0-7) options mentioned in
the man page, but nothing helps, in fact some of the suggested DivX/XviD qpel
bug options cause chroma smearing. Are there any hidden undocumented lavc
decoding workarounds or is it a bug? I've uploaded a short sample to
mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming - the DivX51-Qpel files.