[MPlayer-users] How to encode MPEG-2 at a fixed rate with mencoder?

Graham Bleach mplayer at darkskills.org.uk
Tue Oct 14 12:26:12 CEST 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 08:50:46AM +0200, Levente Nov?k wrote:

> >Try downloading & compiling the ffmpeg application itself. It worked,
> >for me, in several ways that mencoder didn't.
> >

> Did it really work? Last time when I tried it (about 2 weeks ago), it
> produced the same bitrate overshoot than mencoder. Ah, and does it have
> similar filters/post-processing abilities than mencoder?

It at least produced files that could be read by Windows Media Player,
which was my problem. Unfortunately, few of my friends use Linux.

As for bitrate overshoot, I have no idea. I specified the quality with
the -qscale option.

It doesn't have the same post-processing options, I still need mencoder
to, for example, rotate the video by 90 degrees.

tried it.
        -- Don Knuth