[MPlayer-users] Cutting avis with ss and endpos

HR haavroed at online.no
Tue Oct 14 12:54:57 CEST 2003

> [mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of Bokor Norbert
[...]
> with avidemux2 I can cut anywhere I want, not only at
> keyframes! avidemux converts the selected frame
> at the beginning of the selected range to keyframe and encodes the
> remaining frames until it finds a keyframe and after this it
> simply copies the video stream.
Nice. Similar to my alternative solution, only automated
(cut-where-u-want) and with some intellegence (inserting only 1 extra
keyframe). I've been using avidemux, and have been missing exactly that
feature.

Have a look at the attached feature-request I was working on last time I
needed that, Bokor. Bet you'll smile and nod when you read it ;)

Compressing the source like I mentioned would be marginally better,
though, since compressing the original media is better than
recompressing already compressed material...

Experimenting with my own suggestion some time ago, I found that
recompressing a compressed sequence between 2 keyframes, with a lower
keyframe interval, introduced further restrictions on the compression
block sizes - for XViD they HAD to be 16x16 for recompression, even
8x8/16x8 blocks introduced distorsion in the recompressed sequence.
Worth noting for users of avidemux2 as well, I assume.

HR