[MPlayer-users] Comparison of different deinterlace and denoise filters

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Oct 15 02:11:41 CEST 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:53:13PM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have made some more images, showing the effects of different deinterlace
> and denoise filters.
>
> At http://www.wieser-web.de/MPlayer/ you can see the difference.
>
> Results:
> - no visible difference between denoise3d and hqdn3d

Agree. But...does the difference affect encoding quality?

> - pp=tn affects color ?!

This filter is brain damaged by design and should never be used. It
can and will ADD blocking artifacts to your movie (since it switches
itself on and off on a per-block basis).

> - pp=md  looks similar to pp=fd

This is true for your test case. Not true at all in general. pp=fd
will create ghosts for the same reason pp=lb does, however its ghosts
come in the form of outlines rather than solid ghosts. Try a scene
with motion.

> - pp=li and pp=ci introduce more artifacts than the two above

Yes, since they just throw away half the picture and interpolate it
back. -vf pp=ci is approximately the same as -vf field=0,scale=640:480
-sws 2 (or whatever size it should be).

> - pp=lb is horrible for fast movements or moving text

Agree mostly. Basically all deinterlacers are horrible...

Rich