[MPlayer-users] PSNR tests: mbd=2, mv0, trell, and cbp (and...

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Oct 15 12:47:41 CEST 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:53:45 -0400
D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> I'm VERY skeptical of this advice... All I've ever seen MPEG1 do (at
> bitrates where the MPEG4 looks subperfect) is spew out horrible
> blocking artifacts...

That certainly hasn't been my experience at all.  With mpeg1video at
high resolutions (and reasonable bitrates), it produces a rather good
picture, but blurs the fine details. For TV, that's more or less what
you want, since TV signals usually don't have fine details, unlike
digital sources.

As for artifacts, I happen to like MPEG1 because it has much more
plesant artifacts.  I never see blocking, stair-stepping
lines, etc, when I've used it.