[MPlayer-users] Re: Re: altivec (solved)

Christoph Nägeli chn at kbw.ch
Wed Oct 15 19:48:54 CEST 2003

Hello,

> 1. Is it possible to compile mplayer with altivec disabled?
>    I know that you want to have altivec enabled, but just to make sure
>    the problem is altivec-specific. I compile with altivec enabled
> under
>    Linux without any problems.

I disabled altivec in 'config.h' (actually, that file never detects
altivec automatically, perhaps a bug in the configuration script?) and
'config.mak'.
It now compiles without error, so I assume it is really an altivec
problem...

> 2. It looks like the files are compiled with "-maltivec
> -mabi=3Daltivec".
>    This is normal under Linux, but the Darwin (OS X) variant of GCC
>    should use "-faltivec". But someone reported that some version of
>    GCC under Darwin accepted by ignored "-maltivec -mabi=3Daltivec",
>    and that will sure mess up the configure script.

Yes, it seems that the '-maltivec' and '-mabi=altivec' flags should be
replaced by -faltivec.
With that flag replacing the others, the compilation succeeds.

So perhaps anyone should modify the configuration script or may write a
little text in the README file that you have to apply these changes?

Thank You
Regards
Christoph