[MPlayer-users] Mencoded Xvid AVIs are not playable under windows

guardian at skip.cz guardian at skip.cz
Thu Oct 16 19:58:46 CEST 2003

| On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:16:53AM +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
| > You might note that VBR audio is not supported in the AVI container, so
| > any tests you do with VBR MP3 (and AC3, if that is VBR) would be invalid
| Yes it is, and all popular players handle it just fine.
Unless I've misread some document, the AVI specification itself does not
support VBR audio, but VBR is workable using some non-standard headers
for the AVI. Therefore, players could be perfectly conforming to the AVI
spec and refuse to play VBR audio AVIs.

| >  files by definition... I'm not sure if mencoder supports it (not
| > really
| > mentioned in the manpage), but you might want to try writing to an OGM
| Umm, yes it is mentioned in the manpage, and VBR is preferred.
| Otherwise you'll have to waste a huge amount of space on audio for
| decent quality.
I was referring to whether MPlayer can write OGM or Matroska containers,
not whether or not it supported writing VBR audio in an AVI.

Thanks to all for interest. As i wrote, my 10 samples (with VBR
audio) plays good under windows, but 11th maybe not....Yes
tonight i am transcoded my 11th sample (this time komplete two
hours DVD) and.....this time it plays not video. )-: I repeat -
audio is playing fine, but video is sometimes unplayable.
Where is these difference between Xvid AVI transcoded in Windows
and transcoded in Linux? With same characteristics? Nobody
tryed play linux-transcoded video on windows? Please tell me your
experiences with this. (among other things - Lavc-Divx(MPEG4)
video is for me too uncompatible to play under windows.....its
playable, but player is crashing during play and/or generates
5second-long fragmented sequences. Thankyou.