[MPlayer-users] Comparison of different deinterlace and denoise filters

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Oct 16 20:12:19 CEST 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 01:36:55PM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> First I did capture one raw video with
> mencoder tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:width=720:hei[...]:outfmt=yuy2 -ovc copy
> and another without outfmt=yuy2.
>
> Then I used my skript to do those deinterlacer tests:
> The video captured without "-outfmt=yuy2" showed those strange artifacts
> (http://home.knuut.de/MWieser_/Video-16.10.-1230Uhr_8_pp-md.png)
> But the video captured with "-outfmt=yuy2" showed never those artifacts
> independent of either using "-vf il=d:d,scale,format=yv12,il=i:i" or not
> (http://home.knuut.de/MWieser_/Video-16.10.-1229Uhr-yuv2_5_pp-md.png).
>
> So is it right to say: If you have a bttv card, you have to record tv with
> "mencoder -tv outfmt=yuy2 -vf il=d:d,scale,format=yv12,il=i:i", but if
> you have a saa7134 card, you only need "mencoder -tv outfmt=yuy2"?

No. All mpeg type codecs are 4:2:0 (aka yv12), so you must downsample
to 4:2:0 before encoding. If you don't do it manually, then vf_scale
will get loaded automatically for format conversion, and it will
butcher the chroma planes (by blending the two fields).

The only way to get around having to use
il=d:d,scale=format=vy12,il=i:i is if your card can natively capture
proper 4:2:0 video. (Unless you just want to capture at half-height to
begin with...)

Rich