[MPlayer-users] AC3 encoding level low (from ffmpeg)

Joseph N. Hall joseph at 5sigma.com
Thu Oct 16 20:37:18 CEST 2003

I *guess* this is an mplayer/mencoder issue now.

On both standalone ffmpeg and avidemux, the AC3 encoder produces
audio with an unacceptably low output level.  At least that
appears to be the problem.  I haven't measured the difference
but it is probably, I dunno, 10dB?

I would prefer to use AC3 rather than toolame, at least in
the long run.

I am using fairly recent code in both cases AFAIK, although I'm
not sure of the vintage of either (some ffmpeg binary rpm and
the avidemux is a couple of days old CVS build ... mean has to
re-port ffmpeg periodically I think).

  -joseph