[MPlayer-users] Re: which deinterlace filter

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Oct 16 20:27:39 CEST 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:10:11 +0100
"Andreu Escudero" <lemon at canuda.net> wrote:

> OK, so why have someone invented DVDs if they are an 'imcompatible
> standard'? because of course an old VCD player can not play DVDs...
DVDs have a much higher resolution image, are able to store far more,
etc.  That's a long way away from the norminal improvements that PAL
made.  Not to mention the downsides of PAL really cancel
them out.

> PAL is technically much superior to NTSC (much more resolution, much
> better color, not that stange framerates of 30000/1001, etc).
Not really true.  While PAL does have a slightly higher resolution, it
makes up for it by having a significantly lower fram rate.  I really
wouldn't consider a nominally higher resolution an improvement, since a
lot of that signal is discarded anyhow.

I also wouldn't consider "strange" frame rates to be a disadvantage of
any sort.