[MPlayer-users] Mencoded Xvid AVIs are not playable under windows

Arwed von Merkatz v.merkatz at gmx.net
Thu Oct 16 20:36:24 CEST 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 02:10:06PM -0400, Charles Philip Chan wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:58:46 +0200
> "guardian at skip.cz" <guardian at skip.cz> wrote:
>
> > Please tell me your  experiences with this. (among other things -
> > Lavc-Divx(MPEG4) video is for me too uncompatible to play under
> > windows.....its playable, but player is crashing during play and/or
> > generates 5second-long fragmented sequences.
>
> Strange, I have transcoded many dv files to DivX5 with lavc under Linux
> for my Windows friend and they have all played back flawlessly with no
> crashes.
>
> Charles

Same here, in my experience ffmpegs mpeg4 is much more compatible than
xvid, since there are so many different xvid builds for windows
available. I've got quite some xvid encoded files that were encoded with
one of the windows xvid builds that don't work with either xvid stable
or xvid cvs in mplayer (they work fine with ffmpeg mpeg4 decoder). Same
happened the other way around, files encoded with current official
stable xvid (0.9.2) don't play correctly with some windows xvid decoder.
ffmpegs mpeg4 encoder and decoder really seem to be the most compatible
ones.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video