[MPlayer-users] Re: which deinterlace filter

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Oct 16 23:56:39 CEST 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:38:55 +0200
Andreu Escudero <lemon at canuda.net> wrote:

> Well, not really, but the fact that 2:3 pulldown must be done to view
> a 24FPS film on a 60fPS/30FPS screen is much more annoying than the 4%
> speed increase.
I have to disagree there.  I find that 4% difference to be a problem.
Speeding-up changes the pitch of the sound as well as the action of the
video. It's annoying with speech, and intolerable with music.

> Anyway, the best option for film viewing is actually a PAL DVD slowed
> down to 24FPS, then you have the higher resolution from PAL  with the
The higher resolution from PAL is a non-issue with (widescreen) DVDs.
With NTSC, you could use as much as 480 lines, and just use the aspect
to stretch it to widescreen.  I don't suppose you've ever seen a
widescreen DVD that uses more than 480 lines?

> cinema timing, and with a real progressive image, without all the
> pullup complications (hard pulldowned NTSC DVDs are a nightmare
> sometimes).
Yes, but just about all NTSC DVDs are already progressive, (in real
time, with 23.976 fps).  The only time you really see non-progressive
DVDs, is for TV shows, which use NTSC cameras.  So not much advantage
to using PAL there.

> I hope anyway that when the HDTV really arrives, a standard would be
> chosen able to function both in NTSC and PAL land.
I agree completely.  The update to HDTV will be such an improvement, in
many ways.  Networks are certainly taking their sweet time switching
over their broadcasts, though.

> Anyway, as I'm able (like everything in this list) to watch both NTSC
> and PAL, I think we can stop talking about the upsides/downsides of
> each system.
Good idea.  Clogged up enough mail-boxes on this, haven't we?