[MPlayer-users] Playing Growing Files

Craig Shelley craig at microtron.org.uk
Fri Oct 17 01:11:04 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 22:24, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Thus proving mplayer is not playing growing files properly.
>
> he does. I do it all the time. when ftping or rsyncing.

Figured it!

It seems that mplayer will only do this if the file is sufficiently
large and the end of file is kept far enough away from where mplayer is
reading. I tried it with a 700Mb movie, and it worked as expected when I
commented out the usleep line of my test program.

I assume that it has been working for you because of the above
conditions.

Does mplayer by any chance read data into a buffer, and keep it topped
up? If so, when it gets an EOF condition, does it ever retry to see if
any more data has arrived in the file, or does it just let the buffer go
empty and exit without checking for more data?

Is there an option to disable or reduce the buffer size?

Craig Shelley <craig at microtron.org.uk>

Homepage: <http://www.microtron.org.uk>