[MPlayer-users] Re: which deinterlace filter

Levente Novák lnovak at dragon.unideb.hu
Sat Oct 18 10:05:47 CEST 2003

>That's fine, then you can place the blame on those who started their
>electrical system on an incompatible 50Hz...

As far as I know of, the electrical systems were developed independently
during the late 19th century in Europe and North America. There is no
real firstcomer, so there is not much point in discussing why the later
ones did not follow them.

>Also, the problem isn't really the TVs, but the way they convert from
>film to PAL...  Certainly they could have some sort of telecine system
>for 50fPS, instead of just speeding things up as they currently do.

You are maybe right if you say these 4% make an audible difference, but
don't forget that most of the people (including me) without absolute
audition do not notice it. Not unless the repeating problems with
telecine you see in every video-related mailing list. It seems that it
causes problems for more people than the 4% frame rate increase. The
best would be to use the same frame rate for film and broadcast, that's
why a common, better standard might help.