[MPlayer-users] Monitor Aspect Ratio

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Mon Oct 20 07:40:05 CEST 2003

> > at a resolution of 920x512, which, if calculated automatically would yeild
> > an  aspect ratio of 1.79:1 (or 16.17:9, a little more than widescreen)
> > instead of  the correct ratio of 4:3.

> You misunderstand. monitor_aspect is the aspect ratio of the monitor
> in physical dimensions, not pixels. So as long as your monitor is
> physically 4:3, it doesn't matter what video mode you have it in --
> MPlayer will scale the video appropriately to preserve aspect.
> monitor_aspect is only needed if you have a strange monitor.

That was my point - you've been arguing that autodetecting the monitor's
aspect ratio would give wrong results sometimes, and that was a case where
autodetection would give you the wrong results - it *should* be 4:3 (like
mplayer defaults to now) but if you tried to autodetect it you'd erroneously
get close to 16:9 instead because of the strange resolution.  Hence your
argument to default -monitoraspect to 4:3, which will provide correct results
in cases like this.

Cheers,
Adam.