[MPlayer-users] Things (artifacts?) appearing in output and input - Help!

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Mon Oct 20 07:42:22 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 01:34, AthlonRob wrote:

> I'm working on getting lm_sensors up and running now - the problem is
> back with a vengence.  I guess I knocked on fake wood or something.  :-\

lm_sensors isn't working any more.. heh.

> It took it about twenty minutes after the system was powered up to rear
> its ugly head.  mencoder seg faulted and DVD video slowly started
> getting pixilated.  By the time I finished watching the Angel episode,
> it was so bad I couldn't make out faces.

I rebuilt the system almost from scratch, and am still getting identical
behavior.  We're talking bad video and only bad video.  *NO* other
symptoms on the system of *anything* out of the ordinary.

It passed memtest86 3.0, as well as older versions in the past.

The system usually crunches SETI at Home without any problems.  No seg
faults, nothing.

The system regularly compiles software.  Never have I had a problem with
seg faults or anything similar.

The bad video comes from multiple sources - hard drive, DVD drive, and
network (via a mounted samba share and via the ftp:// interface in
mplayer itself).  Playing straight from the TV tuner doesn't seem to
give bad video.

Mencoder corrupts video before crashing.

MPlayer displays messed up video from the above mentioned sources
(except the TV tuner).

Ogle displays less messed up video than MPlayer when playing DVDs.

The way I see it, the only hardware in common with all these inputs and
outputs is the motherboard, the CPU, the RAM, and the power supply.  I
think I can safely rule out the last as the cause.  The CPU cruches
SETI at home without any problems and constantly compiles this, that, or
the other thing.  The RAM passed memtest.

The motherboard (which includes an integrated video chip) could be going
out, but wouldn't I be seeing different symptoms?  Is there something
that video (and only video - the audio remains uncorrupted) touches, be
it being encoded (no display at all) or viewied (with display) that
nothing else touches?

I'm stumped and don't know where else to look for help.  :-(

Rob