[MPlayer-users] Hardcoding subtitles

philippe.combes at ens-lyon.fr philippe.combes at ens-lyon.fr
Tue Oct 21 17:37:31 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I have a divx movie and two .srt files.
One srt file is a subtitles file that has to be switched on or
off at play time.
But the second one contains the subtitles that should be hardcoded in
the video. Indeed, some movies have got some pictures with chinese
messages, or some elvish dialogs ;-), that require the subtitles to always be
activated.
I could keep both subtitles files and activate the one I want at play time if
only I used exclusively mplayer. But I would like my movies to be playable with
WMP, that cannot load a specific subtitle file (only movie.srt if it is playing
movie.*)

So, is it possible to hardcode my second subtitles file into my
already-compressed (lavc) video ?
And is it possible to put these hardcoded subtitles into a black bar under the
movie ?

I tried the following command line, but it failed :
mencoder movie.avi -vf expand 0:-50:0:0 -sub sub_to_hardcode.srt -oac copy -ovc
copy -o movie_with_sub.avi

Thanks in advance for any help ...