OT: discussion on TV frequency history, was RE: [MPlayer-users] R e: which deinterlace filter

Karl Ewald karl.ewald at ixos.de
Tue Oct 21 22:56:46 CEST 2003

Hi Rich,

I must say Reimar's comments do sound sensible to me.
While in digital circuitry, it is easy to divide frequency by using a
counter, this cannot be done in the same way in analog circuitry. So instead
you will happily use different sources for the horizontal and the vertical
timebase, since it doesn't really matter how the vertical rescan relates to
the horizontal position, you have a fairly large number of horizontal lines
that are blanked out between successive pictures, during which you need to
move the electron beam back up vertically, it doesn't really matter how this
is aligned with the horizontal oscillation.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had in fact trouble hooking up a VCR even to
a 60s made TV set, and the vertical frequency generator issues discussed are
stemming from the 40s or early 50s!

I recall reading in an operating manual for a 1975 made PAL color TV set
(WEGA brand, if anyone cares, built from a mix of tubes and transistors)
that program button 8 (the highest one) is intended for attaching a VCR or
video player and has a shorter timebase (can't remember the exact term, and
I'm translating it to English now anyway, so please don't be too picky about
the expression), so apparently it was known that the video signal modulated
(there was no video-in, so the attached device had to have an HF modulator
in it to merge the signal as an additional channel onto the antenna cable)
from video playing devices was slightly different from the one received from
live broadcast.

I recall that we had late 50s or 60s made b&w TV sets which had adjustment
knobs called "catch" (German: Fang) which as I recall were used to fine-tune
the frequency generators to the broadcast signal to avoid the picture from
"running through" (or, indeed force it to by misadjusting). This would
indicate that in these TVs, the vertical frequency was not taken from the
power supply, at least not directly, since this wouldn't have allowed
adjusting it in any way. But that was already at least a decade or two after
the invention of TV broadcast so the first devices may well have done it
that way.
It also indicates that back then it was certainly not easy to "lock onto"
sync signals without already having a timebase that is very close to that of
the signal, that's why your idea "the actual sync pulses can drive the
refresh" doesn't suffice without having already a suitable frequency
generator to match them.

Karl