[MPlayer-users] LAVC-MPEG4 vs DIVX4 vs XVID??

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Oct 22 12:42:09 CEST 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

>Why, for example do you set -sws 2 when you don't scale? Why use -mc 0?

If I encode with mencoder and with -noskip -skiplimit 0 _it still drops
frames_ which is quite awful. -mc 0 should stop it (except that if you
encode realtime, what I do not, then it might be necessary to skip
frames to keep A/V sync).

(Actually, I haven't yet tried if -mc 0 helps, but Richard said it would)

That's at least some justification for that particular option.

Maybe our fellow user is using random options because nobody has
given him better options =)
Maybe that's because he's using divx while everybody else is using lavc.

>No offence intended, please correct me if I'm wrong, but have you actually
>read any documentation on this subject, especially encoding-tips.txt that
>was mentioned to you?

I recommend this too.