[MPlayer-users] LAVC-MPEG4 vs DIVX4 vs XVID??

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Oct 22 16:27:58 CEST 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Matthias Wieser wrote:

>> I can not judge every option manually, but I am
>> quite convinced that PSNR correlates with subjective quality quite well
>> although not perfectly:
>PSNR does not correlate with subjective quality quite well. For example
>For example, see http://www.heise.de/ct/03/10/146/images/sarnoff.jpg

At low bit-rates the difference between PSNR and subjective quality
is higher, at high bit rates it's not that important.

Yeah, maybe I would use that JNDmetrix if i'd have one here. But I don't.

>maybe it increases visual quality of his video file. You suggest
>predia=1:dia=1, but according to http://fatooh.org/remitests/part2.html
>predia and dia most times decrease video quality. And so on.

Actually, that link agrees with my results, because predia=1:dia=1 is the
default and therefore corresponds to the ":" case.