OT: discussion on TV frequency history, was RE: [MPlayer-users] R e: which deinterlace filter

Joseph N. Hall joseph at 5sigma.com
Wed Oct 22 22:04:04 CEST 2003

> Waaaay too expensive.  Perhaps it's time for me to visit the library.

Um. Let's think about this. This is the definitive book on
the topic, a good solid year or two worth of reading, has no
competition at all (is the Bible for broadcast engineers) and
you would pay three times as much for a nice AGP card???

Just a little perspective.  Sure, if your library has a copy,
check it out.  I bought my copy at a MicroCenter about 10 years
back.  It is one edition out of date but has all the goodies
about sampling, colorspaces, frame rates (where'd that "drop
frame" thing come from for example), and so on, and is
authoritative about what it covers.

Don't be put off by the price.  It's a really cool book.
Find a used copy if you can, even an earlier edition.  Even
if it only covers D1 digital, that's fine, because everything
later is documented pretty well for free on the net if you
look hard enough.

  -joseph