[MPlayer-users] OT: libavcodec+ffmpeg

Todd Lyons TLyons at sequentusa.com
Thu Oct 23 19:42:46 CEST 2003

> Hello i'm planning to use
> libavcodec+ffmpeg to retransmit a live event
> (yes, you can say it's commercial use)

This is probably what gets you.

> So, the question is (i think it also affects mencoder):
> The codecs rm and asf in libavcodec are gpl, this means we
> can generate
> those streamings without needing of a license from the "owners"
> (microsoft, real networks)?

Well unfortunately, due to things like software patents, the "blueprint"
of how those streams are constructed is patented, not just the software
and methods of doing it.  So chances are you're running afoul of one of
MS or Real's patents if you're streaming using their format without
having purchased a license (ie WME or Real Encoder).

I'd be willing to bet that using it for personal consumption would be
overlooked by the big corporations.  But once you start making money off
it, they want a piece of the pie.

The usual disclaimers apply, especially IANAL and I am not representing
my employer in any way.  (and no, my employer is not MS or Real :-)

Blue skies...			Todd