[MPlayer-users] Converting DivX4 -> MPEG ?

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Sat Oct 25 11:22:14 CEST 2003

Hello!

I am using mencoder "0.90pre8-2.95.3 (C) 2000-2002 Arpad Gereoffy" since some
months for capturing TV films directly as DivX4 files. Works really GREAT.

Because DivX is somehow problematic with Windoze (does not really play
smoothly on a little bit weaker machines), I would like to convert this DivX4
files into some kind of non-standard MPEG (mp3 audio instead of mp2 audio,
video stream shall be MPEG1/2, in same resolution as I have in the DivX, this
is (~720x586 pixel). Some people name them "SVHS" which is surely not right.

I got such files in the past from a neighbour and it is normally possible to
play them with most PC's though they are not standard.

Yes, I did "RTFM". There stands in chapter 7.2, how mencoder has to be called
for doing this task -- but it does not work at all. All I get is the
following:

---<snip>--------------------------------------------
mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video -oac copy -endpos 60
-o test.mpg  testvideo.avi

But I get this:
---------------
MEncoder 0.90pre8-2.95.3 (C) 2000-2002 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS!)

CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Duron MG Morgan (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
SSE supported but disabled
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
Reading /home/rainer/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open
'/home/rainer/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: 38 audio & 106 video codecs
File not found: 'frameno.avi'
Error: 'of' is not a mplayer/mencoder option
command line: -of
Exiting... (error parsing cmdline)

What am I doing wrong here?  Maybe this mencoder does not understand "-of"?

I would like to NOT change mencoder, if this task can be done without
changing, too. Maybe, there exists a different option which does basically the
same? (I needed a long time to get all this working, I do not want to start
again.)

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch