[MPlayer-users] fibmap_mplayer still useful?

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Oct 27 10:33:42 CET 2003

Imho (since I written that stuff) it is quite obsoleted, but sometimes
it can be usefull. Probably it can be disabled by default (even if
libcss.so can be detected by configure) and only enable it if user
has been requested by a configure option. fibmap_mplayer is a wrapper
to avoid the need mplayer to be setuid root (only fibmap_mplayer) it is
called by mplayer to figure out the starting sector of a file. Anyhow
since libcss is dangerous (at least from the point of view of law) it
should be disabled by default. Also, binary executable fibmap_mplayer
should not be installed if this support was not requested.

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 11:38:22PM -0700, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> Hi -
>
> 	Something I've been wondering about for a while now...
>
> 	Does the 'fibmap_player' program still serve a useful purpose?
>
> The following task requires root privileges. If it fails don't panic,
> however it means you can't use fibmap_mplayer.
> Without this (or without running mplayer as root) you won't be
> able to play encrypted DVDs.
> install -o 0 -g 0 -m 4755 -s fibmap_mplayer /usr/local/bin/fibmap_mplayer
>
> 	None of my *BSD or Linux systems need or use the program and encrypted
> 	DVDs play fine.   Are there other systems which use fibmap_player or
> 	could the program be removed from MPlayer?
>
> 	Cheers,
> 	Steven Schultz

- Gábor (larta'H)