[MPlayer-users] 1080i display corruption (was: HD (1280x720p) crash)

Stefan Recksiegel sr at particle.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Oct 27 12:18:39 CET 2003

Hi,

sorry about the other mail, I was meaning to cut text and sent out
the unedited mail instead ...    :-(

> That's weird, I can't display our local 1080i HDTV broadcasts (which mplayer
> reports as 1920x1088) but xvinfo says:
>
> maximum XvImage size: 2046 x 2046

As somebody else already wrote: You also need to make sure that you
have enough video memory available (I remember that I could tweak this
with the XAALines option for my NV256). The maximum size only works
safely the other way around: If your video is larger than the maximum
size, there is no way you can play the video using xv.

> pixels.  Any wider than that and the image is severely distorted.  The
> overlay is unstable, and some of the scanlines constantly jump around what
> seems to be every refresh, even when the video is paused.

This sounds very much like there is not enough memory (but this is
not detected), so what you see are actually parts of the video memory
that contain something else.

Best wishes,               Stefan