[MPlayer-users] Error compiling MPlayer with latest Matroska CVS

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Oct 29 04:19:45 CET 2003

The Wanderer wrote:

> D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 08:53:56PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
> <persistent linker errors with Matroska when compiling MPlayer>
>
>>> I am fresh out of ideas. This is obviously a problem in the
>>> linking stage, not with MPlayer specifically, but I've tried
>>> everything I've been able to think of to deal with it and had no
>>> success. Is there anything I can do, short of a wiping my root
>>> partition and doing a complete OS reinstall, which might at the
>>> least shed light on the situation?
>>
>> Is it possible that you're using different (incompatible) gcc
>> versions for compiling/linking different parts? For example, maybe
>> /usr/bin/gcc is a symlink to one version of gcc while /usr/bin/g++
>> links to a different version, or something similar.
>
> That's very possible. I'll look at it; thank you very much for the
> suggestion.

This was indeed the problem; g++ 3.2, gcc 2.95 of all things. 3.3 of
each is on my system, but I've set the relevant symlinks to 3.2 for the
moment, and the compile works again. Thanks again for the suggestion;
this is a considerable relief to my mind.

What to do about the fact that I've screwed over my package-management
system anyway is another problem, and not one with which I can justify
bothering you. <grin>

--
       The Wanderer