[MPlayer-users] probs with files > 2GB

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Oct 29 05:14:17 CET 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:52:55PM +0000, GS HUNT wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 October 2003 10:08 pm, wil wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can't seem to get this working ok.
> > I was running from the latest official source and files larger than 2GB
> > gave me a missing or damaged index block.
> > (did ./configure --enable-largefiles when bulding it)
> > So this afternoon i switched to the latest CVS tarball and again ran
> > ./configure --enable-largefiles and made/installed it...
> > Everything seems to work, but again...files larger than 2GB
> > go corrupt with a missing or damaged index.
> > I'm only using mencoder on the console, never get into X.
> >

> What type of file system are you using? If it is Micro$oft Windoze (VFAT)
> there is your problem as they are limited to 2GB . If you are using a linux
> ext2/ext3, I have no idea..

RTFBR!! (BR=bug report)

He said the index was missing or corrupt, not that the file stopped
getting written at 2GB. This is known; mplayer/mencoder do not support
odml indices in avi files, so the limit is 2GB. You can use -idx if
you need to seek (have fun waiting :) or better yet, the new -saveidx
and -loadidx so you don't have to rebuild an index every time.

Rich