[MPlayer-users] Re: Mencoder: are the displayed bitrates accurate?

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Wed Oct 29 09:46:59 CET 2003

Levente Novák wrote:

> Do I understand correctly that in this case (vrc_buf_size is not set)
> mencoder sets it from the actual bitrate to have the recommended buffer
> size for the type of media to be mastered? But then why this stream is
> not playable by standalone players than, even if vrc_maxrate is set
> correctly?
>
> I tried bitrate viewer on one of my files where vrc_maxrate was set to
> 2500, and there were _a lot_ of frames where bitrate was higher than
> 3500! These frames were adjacent to each other, meaning that these were
> no isolated peaks, but a whole scene had much higher bitrate.

Are you using recent CVS?
There were some changes in the ratecontrol code and a bugfix
(vrc_buf_size was broken).
Also, try vpsize=1000 or so, default ist 0 (Unlimited).
I have not tried to encode VCDs with mencoder, but DVDs certainly work
at least on my hardware player (But only with limited vpsize).
VCDs may be more troublesome as some players are very peculiar about the
bitrate requirements AFAIK.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits