[MPlayer-users] Problem with playing mpeg2 files smoothly - Kernel upgrade

Konstantinos Karydas kkar at intracom.gr
Tue Sep 2 08:48:45 CEST 2003

I think that there must be a problem with the Kernel when trying to use
hdparm since I am getting:
---------------------------------
# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
----------------------------------
I am using Red Hat Linux 7.3 (Kernel version 2.4.18-3) on a VIA EPIA-M 1000
with a CLE266 Processor and 128Mb Ram and of course I am root when I try
that. But I get this strange "Operation not permitted" message. So are there
any other suggestions than upgrading the Kernel? If I have to upgrade the
Kernel finally how can I do that? I've never done this before. Is this a
difficult and risky operation for the stability of my system? Which Kernel
version would you recommend in the case I finally upgrade? Where can I find
it? I would really need to use DMA since my system is VERY slow for mpeg2
playback with mplayer (the graphic display drivers for linux are total crap
for this platform!). Thanks in advance.

Kostas