[MPlayer-users] best graphical card for mplayer

Sergei Klink sklink at yandex.ru
Thu Sep 4 01:38:47 CEST 2003

В сообщении от Среда 03 Сентябрь 2003 15:22 Daniel Kasak написал:

> liane d'ambre wrote:
> > I am about to buy a new graphical card for my putter and i want to
> > know what is the best choice from the mplayer-user view.
> > I work under linux and use mplayer fairly often.
> > But it seems like no "modern card" are supported, I hope i'm wrong.
> > Please send me name of modern graphical card IE agp 8X that are well
> > reconise by linux and get graphical accelaration and all the stuff.
> >
> > Thankies

> For tv-out, use a Matrox or nVidia.
> If you don't want tv-out, ATI is an option. The Radeon drivers are the
> most advanced of the DRI drivers, and also where most of the new
> development takes place. But not having tv-out under X is a bitch.

Actually, I've just bought a Radeon 9000/64M with tv-out, and it seems that
the new drivers for X 4.3.0 _do_ support TV-out(although I haven't really
tried it yet, only with vesa) - fglrxconfig presents some tv-out options,
unlike the older versions. As for nvidia cards, I can only say that I had
_really_ bad experience with every card that I happened to use(don't look at
the price too much :), especially on SMP systems - plus the nvidia drivers
are extremely buggy(although I can't say much yet about the ATI ones). Btw,
do you _really_ need agp8x? Personally, I was very suprised to see ~100fps in
UT at 1024x768 with my card(agp4x)...but I'd have probably still bought
8500/9100 if it would have been in the store near me :)