[MPlayer-users] Re: best graphical card for mplayer

Sergei Klink sklink at yandex.ru
Fri Sep 5 01:23:17 CEST 2003

В сообщении от Четверг 04 Сентябрь 2003 00:04 Jonathan Rogers написал:

> Sergei Klink wrote:
>   > Actually, I've just bought a Radeon 9000/64M with tv-out, and it
>
> seems that
>
> > the new drivers for X 4.3.0 _do_ support TV-out(although I haven't really
> > tried it yet, only with vesa) - fglrxconfig presents some tv-out options,
> > unlike the older versions. As for nvidia cards, I can only say that I had
> > _really_ bad experience with every card that I happened to use(don't look
> > at the price too much :), especially on SMP systems - plus the nvidia
> > drivers are extremely buggy(although I can't say much yet about the ATI
> > ones). Btw, do you _really_ need agp8x? Personally, I was very suprised
> > to see ~100fps in UT at 1024x768 with my card(agp4x)...but I'd have
> > probably still bought 8500/9100 if it would have been in the store near
> > me :)
>
> How long ago did you try an NVidia card? The proprietary driver has
> improved greatly over the last year or two. It's far from perfect, but I
> rarely run into bugs any more. Also, the Free driver in X does
> accelerated XVideo on modern cards now, so you may not even have to use
> the proprietary ones. I can't, since I have an old Vanta card. I also
> don't know whether the Free one does TV out.

Relatively recently - a few weeks ago - that was a TNT2 and a GeForce, I
believe. The TNT2 was on a dual p3-450 and after it somehow compiled the
module, xfree kept crashing from time to time when using 3d, as well messing
up framebuffer console, whoever's fault that is. The single cpu with GeForce
was better(though I admit I wasn't working with that one much), but still
seems to crash sometimes especially when switching between VTs(although that
might not be exactly the driver's problem). But yes, this is quite some
improvement from several years ago :) ; nevertheless, there is no way I'm
ever going to recommend an Nvidia card to anybody, unless with a very tight
budget _and_ pretty low expectations. Oh, and it makes me feel a bit better
when I know that I have at least two different drivers to choose from :) But
that's just silly me :)
Saying all that, I still could really use a good third option...

P.S. I guess I'm biased on this topic - you see, I am a (not-so-proud) owner
of Asus v3000zx(Riva128zx) which simply was a _nightmare_ to use(even back
when I needed to use winbloze), and I'm not talking about just 3d...
Sorry for supporting a bit offtopic discussion...