[MPlayer-users] Re: Mpeg2 encoding results

Steffen Barszus st_barszus at gmx.de
Fri Sep 5 16:16:49 CEST 2003

Am Freitag, 5. September 2003 12:43 schrieb Michael Niedermayer:
> so we have different resultions, different bitrates, and the scenes
> neither match, the xvid file has 3.2Mb / 704x416 / and the lavc mpeg2
> has 1.2Mb / 704x576 its not too surprising that the xvid file looks
> better (yes, a larger file allows the 2pass code to distribute the
> bits better)
>
> so if u want to see any impovements then u have to provide the SAME
> video at the SAME bitrate/resolution encoded as xvid & lavc & the
> orginal

Having same quality and same filesize with mpeg2 and mpeg4 isn't
possible. A good rule of thumb i guess is that the size of mpeg2 two
times the filesize of xvid. (I'm having nice results with 1600 on mpeg2
and i guess 800 is 'good enough' for xvid. quality of mpeg2enc and
speed of ffmpeg would be the killer ;)

Steffen