[MPlayer-users] does debug compile affect performance?

Magnus Damm damm at opensource.se
Sat Sep 6 15:58:57 CEST 2003

> In other words, there may be small slowdowns when using --enable-debug.
> With =2 or =3 only size increases and more debug information is added,
> speed should remain the same.

OTOH, larger binary results in a larger cache footprint.
And larger cache footprint might lead to slowdowns.
But all that depends on CPU type and memory bandwidth.

I've heard that it might be worth optimizing for size with -Os for
some processors that have a small cache and slow memory combination.
But these processors are probably not useful for mplayer / mencoder...

/ magnus